Please describe your project in more detail.
Boys and Girls Outdoor Leadership Development (BOLD/GOLD) is an outdoor education program designed to develop multi-cultural leadership skills in young men and women through challenging outdoor activities.
Our canoeing expeditions provide an opportunity for teens from different economic, ethnic, religious, and social backgrounds to build leadership, communication, and decision-making skills. We use the wilderness as our classroom, as participants:
- Learn how to persevere and practice resilience in the face of challenge.
- Develop emotional intelligence by practicing caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility in all their interactions with each group member.
- Learn to work with peers of different backgrounds in an emotionally and physically safe environment.
- Develop the multi-cultural leadership and communication skills needed to be successful in an increasingly globalized world.
- Find personal success, be allies to others, be of service to their community, and feel needed and respected among their peers.
How many kids (grades K-8) will be directly engaged in this project?
Around 80-100 youth, grades 6-12, will participate in trips this summer.
What is the name or school district associated with the project?
This project is run by the YMCA of the Greater Twin Cities.